WE WANT YOUR FLASH FICTION!
On October 11 2019, Fiction Kitchen Berlin launched a new author driven section called, Flash in the Pan. The response to our call has been amazing – so much so in fact, that we will be posting a new story every week from now on! But of course, being the greedy creatures we are, we are hungry for more…
We want to fill this pan with weird, strange, surreal, gripping, speculative, and imaginative stories. Your stories.
Interested? Good. But before your hit that submit button, here are a few things you need to know…
WHAT WE ACCEPT
- Flash fiction stories of 1,000 words or under (the “sweet spot” is about 600 words)
- Previously published work is fine
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed
- Submissions from expats living in Berlin preferred – but open to all authors, everywhere! (we don’t want geography to get in the way of a great story)
WHAT WE DON’T ACCEPT
- Bad writing, or writing riddled with typos, errors, etc. Please triple check your work before submitting. We will provide some editing – but anything that requires a lot of work will be rejected. Show us your best work!
- No poetry, no cheesy romance, no balls-to-the-wall erotica (but sexual content is fine if needed), and no biography type stories
HOW TO SEND
Send an email to: Submissions (@) Fictionkitchen.Berlin and include the following information:
- Subject line: Submission_Name of work_Your surname
- Body of the mail: Please include a brief cover letter and your bio (third person/max. 100 words). Your bio will be posted underneath your story. Also include any links needed e.g. link to your own blog, etc.
- The story: If you haven’t already, please start using Shunn’s short story format for your submissions. This has quickly become the de-facto template these days for submissions via email
- Please attach .doc files only
We will either get back to you within a day (if you catch us at a good moment) or at least within two weeks. If a good few weeks pass and you still don’t hear anything, please do reach out.
If you do get accepted, you will retain all rights to your work after publication. However, you agree that we can publish the story on Fiction Kitchen Berlin, with a really nice image of our choosing to go with it.
Please note that there are there are no submission fees, and as this is a volunteer service, there is no payment to authors.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
- Your own dedicated author section on Fiction Kitchen Berlin – all your published stories will be gathered there. Think of it as your own mini-website! The more you submit to us (and the more stories we post from you), the better your page will look
- Promotion of your story on social media. Not only via our own channels but we will send links to external flash fiction Facebook Groups too
- Inclusion and promotion of your story in a quarterly news update to our flash fiction meetup group in Berlin. Currently nearing 600 members (Oct. 2019)
So, what are you waiting for? Get submitting!